Deoxit. What type to use??

(1/8) > >>

w5kcm:
I hear everyone talking about Deoxit to clean switches and controls. I was looking on the CAIG Labs web site and there seems to be a lot of different type of Deoxits ??? for a range of prices from 14.95 to 21.95 for a spray can. In the aerosol cans they show types D5, DN5, D100. What is recommended for normal boatanchor restores?Has anyone found a good source for this or do you buy it direct from CAIG Labs?

ka3zlr:
Hi Randy how are you,

To be honest...myself i don't buy into the deoxit program..for the contents recieved and what is payed for it never balances out..and there is the shelf life to consider..of course this is my opinon..But i do use a CRC brand cleaner it doesn't seem to melt things and Paint...only done outside of course when needed.. I do use rubbing Alcohol alot and i do my lubricating by hand and not spray..it's something that i like to do...you do have to be careful which Deoxit you use though..

my 2cts om.73..

Pete, WA2CWA:
I've used the D5 stuff for years. Seems to work very well on switch contacts and controls. There's a flea market vendor that travels the  Northeast/mid-Atlantic circuit selling them for $5.00 a can.

w5kcm:
Very good info. Thanks.
73, Randy, W5KCM

k4kyv:
For years, I have used WD-40.  It works better than any contact cleaner I have ever tried.

My AF gain control on my 75A-4 used to be noisy.  I would use cleaner that was specifically designed for cleaning controls; it would work for 2-3 months and then the control would gradually become noisy again.

As a  last resort, I tried WD-40, before changing out the pot.  That quietened it, and now after 10 years, it is still quiet.  Since then, I have used nothing else on switches and controls.  The oily residue evaporates, leaving behind a film of dry lubricant.

I have never had it to dissolve any kind of plastic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands